Friday, April 27, 2012

Rashes and Panic.

So, I was in the hospital all morning yesterday. I woke up and I was covered in hives and couldn't breathe.... I was so scared. Usually, I don't mind that I'm away from my family. My homesickness spikes at finals, for sure because I am stressed. However, there is nothing like going through anaphylaxis alone. It is the scariest thing ever. I woke up and felt like someone was choking me.

So I went to the local hospital just because I had an exam later and couldn't drive much further than that anyway. Well, what a morning. I'm allergic to Sulfur-based antibiotics, we learned.  Covered head to toe in purple welts. I cried the whole morning because I really thought I was dying... in the local hospital... before an exam. The doctor kept wanting to give me this steroid I'm also allergic to. She was great but not in the doctor knowledge realm, just patient care. She wound up calling my doctor in TN for advice, and he said the usual: atarax, a different steroid cream, and benadryl.

I fought to be released from the hospital to take my exam. The doctors did not want me to leave. I wound up unplugging myself and going to the exam and then once there, not only was I drugged up, I just had a huge panic attack because I wasn't feeling well and didn't want to fail because I was sick.

I was signed off to take my exam with my three emergency medications and luckily I sat in front of a registered nurse during the exam. I also had to have water with me since I had 80 mg of benadryl in my system and was dehydrating. But I did it, and I failed I'm sure. It's just so scary because that's what I want to do from now on. I really love Estate Planning and I just hope my grade doesn't prohibit me from pursuing that goal.

I came home, put as much steroid on myself as I could, took my atarax, and passed out. I was asleep by 9pm and woke up at 7am. I took another atarax and woke up at 9am... so 12 hours of sleep. My rash is still spreading a little but its not as purple. It's just red and I can feel my pulse through it... annoying. I can't wait for Joe to get here just so I can feel like god forbid something happens, Joe will be here to help me. But I have to make up for my lost 12 hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment